Monday, March 23, 2009

Writing Because You Want To?



I never thought I would see the day that Sissy would write for fun but it happened today. We use All About Spelling as our spelling program (I'm sure I have mentioned this AWESOME program before!). Sissy has always struggled with spelling and because of that she does not like to write. She is always afraid to try new words because she is afraid she will not be able to spell them.

She is in book 3 of the program and today she hit a new process. After doing the lesson and the spelling test she gets 5 or 6 words that use some of the skills she has learned (these words all relate to one another in some way) and then she is supposed to write at least one sentence for each word. I told her that if she wanted to write more she could. I was HOPING that maybe she would write a small paragraph bringing those words together. Well, today, she blew my mind! She must have sat and written for over an hour. She made a complete story and it was over a page long! I was shocked and thrilled! In addition, she was really using some super sentences. For example she wrote, "The raindrops were dripping off of my window. I looked out of my window and saw the ponds overflowing." This is completely creative for her. Just 2 months ago, she would have simply said "It was raining outside."

I absolutely LOVE those days that I can see the growth that is happening with the kids.

By the way, if you have any questions about the best spelling program ever, All About Spelling, please feel free to e-mail me at caspen1973@yahoo.com

1 comment:

Ginger said...

You gotta love these moments!!! Your girls are precious.