Thursday, January 22, 2009

Fun With Shapes and Colors




Since I am not a math person (so much so that I am considering a computer based math program for my soon to be 5th grader for next year) I don't fully understand why playing with things like puzzles and fitting various parallelograms together are so important for early learners, but a friend shared her set of K-1 Saxon manipulatives with me and Peanut has seriously enjoyed them! She really enjoys days like today. Her work required her to use the manipulatives to cover an odd shape, determine how many of each parallelogram she used to cover it and then graph them using colored pencils that match the colors of the shapes. She really enjoys getting her hands on the different shapes. All the girls love puzzles so it isn't a surprise to me that she enjoys this type of math game! (Notice the pj's? Typical school attire around here!)


No comments: