Monday, December 15, 2008

Traditional Holiday Joys

One thing that is fun about being a parent of my own is creating various holiday traditions with my family. Every family has them, some more than others. One holiday tradition that never became one when I was a kid, but I always wanted to do, was baking Christmas cookies and decorating them. I've tried making Christmas cookies several times, but it rarely is fun because I either can't roll the dough out because it gets to warm and sticks and breaks, or I roll them to thin and then they burn. Last year I tried a cookie spritzer that I purchased from Pampered Chef and even that never worked correctly..I haven't taken that thing out of the box since!!!

This year I asked Paula Dean (my dear friend Jennifer who is a Paula wanna be) if we could come to her house and she could instruct me. This way our children could do the decorating together and we could get some deserts made for the 40th birthday party we were throwing for a friend the next day. We had so much fun and by the end of the afternoon we had some yummy cookies and the kids had a great time. I'm actually going to try my hand at making some all by myslelf, later this week....I think I'll even let the girls help - he, he, he...



These two photos of Sweet Baby experiencing her first sugar cookie experience tells it all doesn't it? The fun that can be had while experiencing what some may call "small" events. Not to a 4 year old! She has rolled out many a play dough ball and used cookie cutters on it, but to know that it will be baked and turn into some yummy goodness was to much excitement for her!






And here is Peanut.....



Finally, a picture of all the kids when the fun was done...


No comments: