Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Fears....

Some days I am quite confident that this decision was the correct ones, then other days I am so fearful of hindering my kids. I've been working on lesson plans and I didn't pick the correct curriculum. The Portraits of American Girlhoood is proving to be a lot of work for me. I wanted something that would tell me what to do each day and was pretty self contained. This program is written like that but when I looked it over I felt it was seriously lacking in some areas - like Science and some aspects of Language Arts. So, I decided to mainly use this program as a history guide. But, that means I have to add in science, add in certain aspects of language arts, add in math, so I am now drawing up week by week/day by day lesson plans and it is over whelming because I sit and look at it and wonder if I am covering everything. I'm still struggling with believing that the exact things that the girls public school counterparts will be studying isn't necessarily what we HAVE to study. Yes, we need to do math, spelling, reading, science, language arts, handwriting, etc. but just because they are studying electricity in science doesn't mean we can't study the solar system. So..here I sit stressing! And chocolate hasn't helped!

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

I got your link to your Stampin' blog through my cousin, Beth Lawton. I don't know if she knows you or just likes your blog. I am a former Stampin' Up demo, and when I saw on your profile that you have made the decision home school, I had to see your blog. I have been kicking around the idea for several years and am just too chicken to actually make the decision. (It doesn't help to have a screaming 2-year-old and a 9-month old baby in addition to my 6-and 8-year-old girls). I am so impressed with your decision.

So, some questions, if you don't mind: What was the driving force? What have you found for curriculum? Why homeschool? I am so curious as to why others do it, how they do it, how they make the decision. I guess I need some inspiration. It is all so overwhelming for me to think about doing it all on my own--being a mom, teacher, cleaner, chauffer, etc. without any down time. How do you manage?

My blog is marked private (I'm happy to send out invites), but I have linked this post to my email for your follow-up comments. Or I'd love it if you have a sec to email me at jjaoee@gmail.com. Thanks for your time and for sharing your homeschool blog!