Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Who Would Have Thought?

We are getting ready to home school our 3 children in the fall! Who would have thought?Certainly not me! 4 years ago as our oldest daughter was ready to start Kindergarten my husband told me he would like for us to consider homeschooling. I hardly even took time to breathe after he suggested it and told him, "No way! I feel sorry for home schooled kids because they don't get to socialize with other kids and they miss out on fun stuff like class parties. This mom is absolutely NOT going to home school." I meant it too....at the time. Isn't it funny how God reaches down and can change the course of our lives, and through it, change the course of someone else's life too?

I have been a stay at home mom for nearly 9 years! Before getting married I received an Associates Degree from Lansing Community College in Paralegal Studies. Then I went on to receive a bachelor's degree from Michigan State University in Pre-Law. I really thought that someday I would attend law school. My husband and I were married 3 weeks after I graduated from MSU and I assumed I would take several years to just enjoy working and getting my feet wet in the legal field, decide for sure on law school and MAYBE 5 or 6 years into our marriage decide to have kids.

About a year after we were married I really wanted to have a baby and God made that happen. While we were pregnant I was sure I would continue working after the baby was born, but my dh (whose mother was a stay at home mom) wanted something more for his child. He asked me to consider staying home to raiser her. My answer to that was much like my answer to his request that I home school! I told him "no", and furthered that by telling him I went to school for far too long to give it all up for kids! As the birth approached I agreed that if my job would give me 6 months off to make up my mind I would try it out. The law firm I worked for was wonderful and gave me the time. About 2 min after our daughter was born, I knew that I was made to be a full time mom. I knew I couldn't leave her with a sitter. So....that began the rest of my life.

Now we have three girls who I love terribly! As my oldest entered public school I was excited for all she would experience! I couldn't wait for her to start school, get on a bus, make new friends, but it wasn't as easy as I thought.

More on that tomorrow....

No comments: